Fridge or no fridge

Fridge storage or dry for long term seed storage?


  • Total voters
    28
Freezer. Triple wrapped and sealed.

When it's germination time I open whichever ones and set them on a windowsill in the kitchen (indirect light) for 5-7 days, then soak in water then plant.

I have had 12 year old seeds with 90-100 % success. My problem down here in hurricane country is power outages lasting 2 weeks....
 
Ive done both over the last couple decades and I've found that my old fridge beans seemingly have greater success rates than old dry storage beans. I feel like them being refrigerated mimics nature and the naturally dropped seedlings sitting in the cold/frozen ground waiting until next spring to germinate.
makes sense i guess, seed banks arent just in the arctic to hopefully not be attacked. permafrost aids in keeping humidity down and its easier to cool every kinda bean in that space.

apparently the gold standard for long storage is -17*C/-.4*F
 
I'm a total noob to this, but since Jan, I've acquired a shit ton of seeds (at least for me). I recently read an article (can't remember where) that run of the mill home fridges and dedicated, dorm-style mini fridges have way too many variances in temps and RH to really reap the benefits of cold storage. He recommended dark storage in a cool environment is best. When I consider how often my 17 y.o. opens the damn fridge, it makes sense. I was thinking of using my food saver to vac seal my packs (like 3-4 packs per pouch) with a small dessicant pack, and then store 'em in an ammo can with more dessicants thrown in for good measure. Thoughts?
 
using nail clipper )
I'm a total noob to this, but since Jan, I've acquired a shit ton of seeds (at least for me). I recently read an article (can't remember where) that run of the mill home fridges and dedicated, dorm-style mini fridges have way too many variances in temps and RH to really reap the benefits of cold storage. He recommended dark storage in a cool environment is best. When I consider how often my 17 y.o. opens the damn fridge, it makes sense. I was thinking of using my food saver to vac seal my packs (like 3-4 packs per pouch) with a small dessicant pack, and then store 'em in an ammo can with more dessicants thrown in for good measure. Thoughts?
people finds seeds years and years old in garages etc and still get them to pop. I Think a storage tote in a cool dry dark area is plenty enough imho.
 
Maybe up there in the Great North.

Down here in the dirty South, they will only last a few years if you store them at room temp.

Most houses down here even with good AC still have a swing in temps....I could only get a couple of years when I tried.

The deep freeze is tedious, but it really works well.

Everyone has their own way👍
 
Maybe up there in the Great North.

Down here in the dirty South, they will only last a few years if you store them at room temp.

Most houses down here even with good AC still have a swing in temps....I could only get a couple of years when I tried.

The deep freeze is tedious, but it really works well.

Everyone has their own way👍
My first grow ever was from 10 year old bagseed that sat in a zip lock bag in my top clothes drawer in Florida for years and every one popped still. I had the same success rate from every bean in that bag too but I dont take that risk anymore lol
@Phillihp me personally I still keep them in the fridge I use daily. I have them all in whatever packaging they came in, vials, or dime bags with a few silica bead packs inside of a plastic Tupperware thats in one of the bottom drawers of the fridge. Inside the drawer the temp stays more stable since i never open it. But I also moved across country from Florida to Arizona and drove with them all inside a lunchbag with ice packs and still have had no issues with germing from them all.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
4,352
Messages
295,001
Members
2,405
Latest member
mncannabisfan
Back
Top Bottom