- Feb 10, 2020
The label reads:
- Soluble Potash (K2O)……4.0%, Derived from Potassium Sulfate
- Add 5-10mL/gal in veg
- Add 10-30mL/gal in flower
So I have decided to try to replicate this additive by mixing my own Potassium Sulfate solution and testing it on a run of the same cut that has responded well to Terpinator.
I have done some calculations and found that in order to create the same concentration of Soluble Potash derived from Potassium Sulfate, I will need to add 300g of Potassium Sulfate per gallon of water (The math is included below).
PLEASE NOTE: I will be testing this mixture and making notes of any issues/successes and suggestions for possible further adjustment. Do not try this at home (yet). Neither Schwaggy P, nor any Schwaggy P subsidiaries are responsible for any grower attempting this recipe or the results thereof.
Container for the solution
Flask (optional for smaller mixed solutions)
Wearing gloves, mass the Potassium Sulfate (pic 1).
Make sure to weigh out amounts that your scale can handle. If your scale cannot handle 300g measurements, mass several “batches” of Potassium Sulfate to equal 300g
Carefully transfer the Potassium Sulfate into your container (pic 2).
A funnel may be helpful
Pour about half of the distilled water into the container (pic3).
Filling only half way allows room for you to shake the solution and assist the dissolving process
Shake the container vigorously (pic 4), then fill the container with the remaining half of distilled water. At this point you have a one-gallon terpene-enhancing additive for less than 1/10th the cost of the store bought version.
I decided to see what the TDS contribution would be of both solutions. I added 0.5mL of each solution to their own sample of distilled water and measured the increase in TDS. The dosage is equivalent to the median recommended feeding dosage of 20mL/gallon.
In Series A, the Terp Enhancinator contributed an increase of 251.5ppm(0.5 scale)
In series B, the Terpinator contributed an increase of 379.9ppm
The DIY mix is a colorless and odorless solution, while the Terpinator has a yellowish color with a smell. These additions may explain the slight increased TDS contribution of the Terpinator. The take-away for me is that my DIY mix is not an astronomical overshoot of something like 2,600ppm. The relatively closeness of the ppm suggests the solution is not going to severely alter my reservoir chemistry.
Since the final DIY mix had a slightly lower concentration contribution than the Terpinator (expected since there are more non nutritive additions) and there was friendly interaction with nutrient solution, I feel this will be okay to try on my plants. I will use begin using this mix as directed to best replicate the Terpinator and assess the performance. I will update as things progress.
Potassium Sulfate MSDS
Potassium Sulfate Spec Sheet